blog archive

Tuesday, 5 April 2016

Egypt team to fly to Italy with results of student murder probe

© AFP/File | Protesters hold an Italian flag with photos of Giulio Regeni, during a demonstration in front of the Egypt's embassy in Rome, on February 25, 2016
CAIRO (AFP) -  A team of Egyptian prosecutors and policemen is to fly to Rome on Wednesday to submit their findings in the brutal murder of Italian student Giulio Regeni, the prosecution service said.
On March 25, Cairo announced police had killed four members of a criminal gang specialising in abducting foreigners, and that they had found Regeni's passport in the apartment of a sister of one of the slain suspects.
Rome has cast doubt so far on Cairo's explanation for Regeni's murder, with Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni tweeting "Italy insists: we want the truth."
The Italian media and Western diplomatic sources in Cairo suspect that elements from the Egyptian security services were behind the 28-year-old PhD student's murder.
Cairo has steadfastly denied its security forces were responsible for his death.
"A delegation of members from the general prosecution office and policemen involved in the investigation of the killing of Italian citizen Giulio Regeni will leave Cairo on Wednesday, April 6," the Egyptian prosecution's office said.
The team led by deputy genera prosecutor Mostafa Suleiman "will present the results of the investigation conducted by the Egyptian general prosecution in the case so far", it said in a statement.
The delegation was initially scheduled to head to Rome on Tuesday, but the trip was delayed for undisclosed reasons.
Regeni disappeared in central Cairo on January 25, and his body was found nine days later on the side of a motorway, badly mutilated and showing signs of torture.
© 2016 AFP

No comments:

Post a Comment