blog archive

Thursday 30 December 2010

Revived Roddick ready to defend title

December 30, 2010 -- Updated 1032 GMT (1832 HKT)
Andy Roddick is looking forward to a more rewarding 2011 season after fully recovering from illness and injury.
Andy Roddick is looking forward to a more rewarding 2011 season after fully recovering from illness and injury.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Andy Roddick is fit and ready to defend his Brisbane International title
  • The world number eight felt his 2010 season was affected by injury and illness
  • American is seeded second for the tournament behind world number five Robin Soderling

(CNN) -- American tennis star Andy Roddick has declared he is finally fit and raring to go as he prepares to defend his Brisbane International title next week.

The world number eight feels he was never in top shape throughout 2010, but he now believes he is over the illness and injury problems that prevented him from performing to the best of his ability.

"For me, it's just a matter of getting healthy. I battled mononucleosis for a big part of 2010 and from there I just felt like I was playing catch-up," the 28-year-old told the official ATP Tour website on Wednesday.

"I think it's the first time I've felt right since last May, so when you are fit it takes a lot of the mental pressure off. You feel like you can play anyway you want, so I feel fresh, enthused and ready to go."

I think it's the first time I've felt right since last May
--Andy Roddick

Roddick, who beat Czech Radek Stepanek in last year's final, added: "I came in last year and hadn't been playing much, so this was a really good springboard into the year for me.

"I like playing in this event and my wife enjoys coming here too, so let us not pretend I make any decisions!"

Roddick's words were echoed by his physical trainer Lance Hooten.

"I haven't seen him this motivated for some time," Hooten told the ATP Tour website.

"Andy's always been a grinder, a hard worker, but you have to put reins on him all the time because he's always going to work too hard, too long and too much."

The Brisbane International tournament begins on Sunday, with Roddick seeded second behind world number five Robin Soderling.

No comments:

Post a Comment