blog archive

Monday 17 January 2011

Australian Open 2011: Elena Baltacha and Anne Keothavong both progress

• British duo advance to second round on opening day
• Baltacha will next face the former champion Justine Henin

  • guardian.co.uk,
  • Article history
  • Elena Baltacha
    Elena Baltacha had to come from a set down to book a second-round meeting with Justine Henin. Photograph: PA Wire/PA

    Elena Baltacha set up a second-round meeting against the former Australian Open champion Justine Henin on a day of double success for British women in Melbourne.

    Baltacha, the world No55, overcame three rain delays, a medical time out and the loss of the first set to beat the American qualifier Jamie Hampton 3-6, 6-4, 7-5. The British No1 was then joined in the last 64 by Anne Keothavong, a 7-5, 6-4 winner over Russia's Arina Rodionova.

    It is the first time Keothavong has advanced beyond the first round at Melbourne Park and the 27-year-old Londoner will now face the 30th-seeded German Andrea Petkovic. But it is Baltacha's clash with Henin, defeated in the final against Serena Williams last year, which catches the eye.

    Asked about her prospects against seven-times grand slam winner, Baltacha replied: "I think I've got to believe that I've got a chance, because otherwise there's no point playing. The chances are probably slim. But on the match day, I'm going to go out and I'm going to fire. I've got nothing to lose at all."

    Henin saw off a spirited challenge from India's Sania Mirza to advance 5-7, 6-3, 6-1 in her first official match since sustaining an elbow injury at Wimbledon last year. The Belgian has admitted she does not see herself getting back to her best until the summer – something that gives Baltacha hope.

    "Obviously she's been out for quite a while. You've got to go out there and show no respect. Because once you give someone respect, that's it. If they know it, you're not going to be fully focused on your game."

    Meanwhile, Keothavong felt her win vindicated a decision to carry on playing tennis after considering her future following a first-round defeat at last year's US Open. "In New York it was very different. I think I was quite emotional after the match," the British No2 said.

    "I'd been on a run of results that hadn't been going my way. And, yeah, I did consider things. But I'm here after a great off-season. I don't know how much longer I have in the game, but I'm here to make the most of what I've got. While I'm injury-free, I just want to get out there and enjoy it."

No comments:

Post a Comment